So, you’ve found your million-dollar idea. You’ve taken the steps to create a business with a solid base and safe number of clients. Now, you wish to expand the business and gain a larger following, but don’t know how. Advertising is here to make your goals turn into reality.
Advertising is one of the key components in promoting a certain service or product. It allows you to reach the highest audience possible and, if done correctly, capture their attention enough to see a positive shift in your business’s revenues. In short, a business cannot thrive without advertising. For a newly found business with a solid premise or service, advertising properly could be the difference between a vital company and one that is soon driven to closing.
In this post, we’ll provide an all-encompassing rundown of Advertising with a brief historical overview, including an explanation of why advertising is important, how to advertise, and 3 suggestions if you are new to advertisement.
While it is true that advertisements are found everywhere we look: from billboards on the highway to a sponsored post on Instagram, it is crucial to have a proper understanding of the term in order to optimize the way in which we use that tool.
Advertisements by definition are notices or announcements in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy. Today, the medium used is quite diversified. As advertising is becoming more and more mainstream and popular, it has become a sort of means of communication between the users of a product or service and the providers.
Through advertising, the company or business is able to create a certain brand and image that attracts not only the same loyal clients, but also new ones. The good advertisement pushed the person to act: to book the service, buy the product or donate to the cause. It stands out from the constant stream of stimuli that people have become accustomed to.
The point of advertising a product is for it to reach the largest number of people in the targeted group. So naturally, as society’s main source of information shifts, so does the location of advertising.
In the 18th century, with the invention of the printing press, the industry emerged and fairly quickly, society witnessed a boom in the way products were being sold.
With the invention of the radio, advertisements took to that medium too to reach people. Same with the Televisions and the Silver screen.
Today, advertisements are found on all platforms from YouTube videos to Instagram sponsored posts. In fact, there is rarely a moment that goes by where the human being is not subjected to a form of promotion.
As with everything, there are more than one way to advertise a product and promote it. Naturally, if your company has a budget that allows you to resort to an advertisement company or conversely, through creating a social media account and promoting the services on these platforms.
Here is exactly what you should do to advertise the best you can:
1. It is important to know your ideal audience. This way, you’ll know what emotions you want to target and what needs you want to fulfil. This will lead the way to other strategies. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. Let colors do their job. Color Psychology is a thing! Once you’ve figured out what emotions you want to stir, you’ll be able to identify your brand, post, or ad colors. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. Tell a story! I’ve learned this trick from life skills sessions. People love stories. This is easily seen in ads or music videos that have a little story involved in them. You tend to, if you are the correct audience, feel a connection to that story and are more likely to remember it.
4. Make your brand goal clear! People are attracted to movements and activities that counter for things they believe in. This way, you can build a sense of belonging. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
5. Offer free things. This one you should be familiar with, but it really does the job! Once an individual is granted something for free, they’ll feel valued. This feeling can be intensified if you personalize the process as much as possible (a surprise coupon in their package, a personalized coupon with their name on it, or a personal email invite to your services). Once they feel valued, they’ll unconsciously want to give back to the brand.
If you know your audience, you will know what words draw them in and what platform they are most likely to use.
While your product may be important and crucial and meets your target audience’s needs, if it does not give them a certain emotion then they will turn to similar products from rival companies. Advertisements help create the feeling that goes along with the product.
Sometimes, you might get carried away in the need to advertise and go bigger.
Rarely is bigger better, your companies need determine just how much you
should be spending on advertisements.
Your target audience is receiving all sorts of advertisements. If you wish for your product or service to compete with similar products and services, let the customers know why yours is special. What more do you offer?
Advertising properly is not an easy feat, but with the proper focus goals and an application of the steps provided above, attracting a large number of new customers will be a great reward to a job well accomplished.